15 WAYS TO EAT BETTER EVERY DAY
Chances are, you’re looking to try a healthier diet. We’ve put together a few tips to help make it easier, and stop you from feeling deprived.
- DIVIDE AND CONQUER – Nutritionists suggest thinking of your plate as divided into quarters: two quarters should be veggies and fruit, one quarter protein and one quarter carbs, preferably whole grains.
- PLAN MEALS – We’ve made it easy by putting together a variety of weekly meal plans.
- SNACK SMARTER – Keep some ready-to-eat veggies in the fridge to enjoy with hummus or mashed avo, and fresh fruit on hand in a bowl or in the fridge for instant snacking.
- CUT DOWN ON SUGAR – Use fresh fruit to add sweetness to breakfast cereals. We’ve also removed over 23 million teaspoons of sugar from our food, helping you cut down on sugar.
- DRINK WATER – It’s not just refreshing – it helps you feel fuller and less likely to munch on high sugar, high fat foods. Add things like berries, cucumber, lemon slices or mint for flavour. With a hint of flavour and no sugar, our Spring Drinks are a great way to drink more water.
- MAKE DINNER A FAMILY AFFAIR – It’s been shown that sitting down at the dinner table (without cellphones or other distractions) makes for less stressful eating, which means your body is better able to absorb nutrients.
FRESH IS FABULOUS
Prepare meals from fresh ingredients. Woolies gives you a helping hand with a wide choice of ready-to-cook seasonal vegetables for everything from soups and casseroles to stir fries.
READ THE LABEL
You’ll find a complete breakdown of ingredients as well as nutritional info on our packs.
CHECK THE FAT
Choose monounsaturated fats that come from plant sources, like nuts, vegetable oil, canola oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, and avocado.
Make vegetable smoothies deliciously creamy (and up your fibre) by adding half an avo before blending.
EAT MORE FISH
Fish is a great alternative to red meat, and there are so many delicious ways to enjoy it. Our fish is not only good eating, it’s all responsibly sourced.
GET MORE FIBRE
Brown rice not only has a deliciously nutty flavour, it also packs more fibre than white rice. The same goes for wholewheat pasta, which has more than twice the fibre of pasta made from white flour.
GO FOR THE CRUNCH
Add cooked whole grains or canned beans, lentils or chickpeas to salads for texture and a fibre boost.
CUT DOWN ON SALT
We’ve recently removed another 1.9 tons of salt out of our food without cutting down on flavour.
TAKE A BREAK
Allow yourself the occasional indulgent treat. What’s life without a little chocolate, ice cream or pizza once in a while?